Monday, July 5, 2010

Getting inducted

I would like to see this post as more of a Time Capsule. And after several more posts and years later, I would like to revisit it to see if it still makes as much sense.

I am writing this with a view of sipping the first hot cup of coffee of the day and contemplating how the rest of the day would churn out to be. This is about my first few days on HSBC rolls.

The first thing that strikes heavily on the mind is that the organization makes every effort to make the inductee PROUD of being a part of the family. The position they give you, the facts about the bank they throw at you, the proud history, everything that brings in, as they call it, a Feel Good factor in you. I think it is very important to make the new family member proud of what he has gotten into.

I also felt that the team members are very friendly. They are not reluctant to walk across the cubicle and exchange a few pleasantries. The seems a conspicuous absence of distrust or politics. Some mates infact seemed a bit relieved to see me. (quite unlike some of my previous work places).

Being a back office / data centre of the worlds largest financial institution invites some extra precaution on the security front, which can sometimes be a bit irritating.

All in all, my first 72 hours seem to promise a good future and possibly the positivity that I always yearned. But a little voice inside me keeps telling me that at the end of the day, I am still working for someone else and not for myself. Whether the feel good factor in HSBC will suffocate this little voice or whether my anti-establishmend, free spirit will get the better of me .... only time will tell.

No comments: